Monday, June 7, 2010

The sun was out, and now it's raining!

Hi all! This morning I felt, for a moment like a local. A true Islander. I was at the grocery store at 9:53 a.m. so when at 10:00 they flung open the doors I was one of the first to enter! Why is this such a big deal? Because, my dear main land folk the huge truck full of food comes across on the ferry and Monday morning the selfs are full...this is a very big deal...I know this because I have gone grocery shopping on a Sunday....I went with my shoulder bag and an empty belly. I impulsed shopped. I bought strawberry's for a million dollars and a mango for a mer thousand (prices may have been embelished) 2 boxes of rice milk, face scrub, tuna and cheese and bread and the biggest bag of nuts and fruit. No thought to the ginormous walk I had in front of me, nor my smallish bag...blissfully ignorant! I was half way home when a very nice elderly man asked if I needed a ride. I said yes! The funny thing is that I wasn't hitch hiking, just putting one foot in front of the other with perhaps a look of pain on my face. I was very grateful! I also need to announce my name change...Auntie buttons. My family has been calling me this and Isador now knows me fully as Auntie buttons.....It makes me laugh and smile. I can see us now, 16 years from now, Auntie buttons holding Isador's hand while he gets his first tattoo......

1 comment: